What is, are you kidding me, Sweetest Day?
Ugh. What is this disgusting.piece of..? ..Oh..Yum! Chocolate, shaped as an actual heart You knew that.
"Sweetest Day started 87 years ago when a Cleveland candy store owner brought little 'sweet' treats to orphans, the elderly and homebound people on the third Saturday of each October, leading people to call it 'The Sweetest Day of the Year,' according to the major greeting card companies and theholidayspot.com.
But for some reason, in the last few decades, the holiday evolved into a day about your sweetheart, not giving a sweet to someone in need." Duh, do you smell chocolate?..I smell the fumes..of Hallmark.
I was searching the most popular topics on Google for today, October 17th and stumbled across today's biggest hit: Sweetest Day. what?????? what??????? what???????? Could there really be another Hallmarker that managed to squeeze its bulging head into the parade of unholy days of obligations (from the meaning of oblation-gift, gift of love)
Considering the origin of this feastday, I bite my cynical tongue and take the higher rung, adjusting my attitude. If truly this was a day to remember those who rarely received a sweet..whatever, let's make an opportunity..instead of a joke. Smothering my impulse to rant about how much I hate Hallmark days, considering it was an escape from this year's Mother's Day that inspired my blogging, let's turn this day around. Instead of souring this day into another tasteless waste, I choose to love today..and celebrate with a, ..well,.. sweet idea.
How about really thinking about someone, someone you actually know, who is the least likely to get something sweet today..or on any day? No, not chocolate, (unless you are thinking of me), but a something sweet for the heart, a sweet something that would coat his or her heart today.
Do you have someone? We all can think of someone...
Who is your person, girl, boy, young, healthy, sick, happy, sad, rich, poor, likable, not, single, married, old, dead or fully alive? Lover, hater, family, friend, or stranger?
What sweetness, in a gift, can you send this someone today: not flowers, but prayers, not a just a thought, but an email, a card (the stench of hallmark..), a call, maybe even visit. Maybe something you cook or say or make or do? ok, then, buy!
Before I started my googling early this morning, I had a thought of someone whose cares often sadden me. The thought lead to a feeling, a gush of love, for this missed one. Next I was sending an email..just of about 10 words, but ten sweet words. That was all.
Next, I opened my browzer, stumbling upon this Sweetest Day thing. Am I the only one that has not heard of this? It was the top search on google. Maybe my guardian angel, or the email's recipient's, were conferring..they do, you know.. They know all kinds of stuff about us, even dumb things like Sweetest Day and smart things, like googling.
I thought I would send out in gratitude to my angel, some thoughts on these celestial guardians, to any readers today. This would be my gift to googlers that are visiting here today. Its sweet, but not at all fluffy. It is good news.
You can believe -with your brain- this stuff because it comes through years and years of sincere, and anointed study from the Dr. of the Church, St. Thomas Aquinas, also know as the Angelic Doctor of the Church. Why not give it up to the one who has spend the most, time, effort, prayer, honest tested scholarship on this subject. Even unbelieving philosophers tout him as the authority.
These are the kind of things he wrote about angels:
1. They are here..not any less that your feet are here..or your next meal..or your cat..well, maybe, your dog. They read blogs, and are over my shoulder right now.
2. They are personal, each of us has one assigned to us, more a body or soul guard than a personal valet.
3. Are they attractive? Well, not in a warm and fuzzy, adorable and cute way, but Yes, they are - in a hugely good, and powerful, magnificent and brilliant, and protective way.
4. They are tight with us, even though we cannot see or sense them, they are listening. We can talk to them without even speaking.
5. They are fiercely loyal to Him and to you, His beloved human, and could and would move a mountain, even heavens, if commanded to do so...for your sake.
6. They are there in less than a split second in a crisis - clearly on your side.
7. They can be seen at times, but not recognized, because they are dressed in someone else's clothes, incognito. Be welcoming to all..possibly a angel at your door.
8. Their luminous intelligence makes Einstein's superbrain look like soggy cheerios. No offense, from where he is now, I am sure he agrees.
How sweet, in a solid as a rock way, it is to know this, don't you think??
Please enjoy this gift of information like bittersweet chocolate, chocolate for grownups, good for the heart..and soul.
NOTE; By the way, after Thomas Aquinas, the great philosopher-theologian wrote the Summa Theologica,he said, at the sight of the Beatific Vision shortly before his death, that all his life's writings were nothing but straw i.e. dung, in comparison with what he had seen of Heaven. Until Heaven, I am grateful for such straw even if it carries a mere sweet speck of God's promises to us, His beloved.