Wednesday, June 9, 2010

THE FIFTY-FOURTH DAY





                       from my portfolio

                
             the 54- day Rosary Novena

    The "54-day Rosary Novena" is an uninterrupted series of   Rosaries in honor of Our Lady, revealed to the incurably sick Fortuna Agrelli by Our Lady of Pompeii at Naples in 1884. For thirteen months Fortuna Agrelli had endured dreadful sufferings and torturous cramps; she had been given up by the most celebrated physicians. 

On February 16, 1884, the afflicted girl and her relatives commenced a novena of Rosaries. The Queen of the Holy Rosary favoured her with an apparition on March 3rd. Mary, sitting upon a high throne, surrounded by luminous figures, held the divine Child on her lap, and in her hand a Rosary. The Virgin Mother and the holy Infant were clad in gold-embroidered garments. They were accompanied by St. Dominic and St. Catherine of Siena.

 The throne was profusely decorated with flowers; the beauty of Our Lady was marvellous. Blessed Virgin said: "Child, thou has invoked me by various titles and hast always obtained favours from me. Now, since thou hast called me by that title so pleasing to me, 'Queen of the Holy Rosary,' I can no longer refuse the favour thou dost petition; for this name is most precious and dear to me. Make three novenas, and thou shalt obtain all."

Once more the Queen of the Holy Rosary appeared to her and said, "
 Whoever desires to obtain favours from me should make three novenas of the prayers of the Rosary, and three novenas in thanksgiving."

The Novena consists of five decades of the Rosary each day for twenty-seven days in petition; then immediately five decades each day for twenty-seven days in thanksgiving, whether or not the request has been granted. The meditations vary from day to day. 

On the first day meditate on the Joyful Mysteries; on the second day the Sorrowful Mysteries; on the third day the Glorious Mysteries; on the fourth day meditate again on the Joyful Mysteries; and so on throughout the fifty-four days.

note:  this is the second time i have done this novena since January and by the middle of the first part, my son whom I was praying so desperately for, asked for help. By the time I finished the 54 days, he was well into his recovery...and that is no coincidence; more to come about the power of this prayer in my life.



Have no doubt that what God does for me, He wants to do the same for you!!!


No comments: